This Ansett service was to Lord Howe Island, ending in late '74 when a 'conventional' runway came into service on the island. Apart from Rose Bay there was also a major RAAF flying boat base at Rathmines on Lake Macquarie, less than 100 nautical miles north. International flights in the flying boat era also regularly touched down at such exotic locales as the Clarence River at Grafton...
- Interesting and relevant site: http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/
- "Golden Age of Flying Boats"
- RAAF Rathmines - flying boats on Lake Macquarie
- One of my Rose Bay posts
- Short Sandringham at Rose Bay
- Another Short Sandringham shot!
- Another post by me
- And my Flickr images of the Rose Bay site.
- Or here is an updated list of Sydney's airports.