Hunters Hill, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The area that is now Hunters Hill was settled in 1835. One of the earliest settlers was Mary Reiby, the first female retailer in Sydney. She built a cottage -- later known as Fig Tree House -- on land that fronted the Lane Cove River; Reiby Street is named after her. During the 1840s, bushrangers and convicts who had escaped from the penal settlement on Cockatoo Island took refuge in Hunters Hill."